22 March 2010

Mar 22 (Psalm 23)


Psalm 23


(v.1) I begin with my kids, telling them that the word "want" here, doesn't mean that we don't want our Shepherd. Rather, it means that with our Shepherd looking out for us, we shall not be lacking anything we need. We won't be for want of anything.

Jesus is our Good Shepherd who will guide us, correct us and even die for us.

(v.2) My Shepherd shall provide for me comfort and rest Ruth 1:9 & Matt 11:28

(v.3) He will guide my paths and lead me to His ways Prov 3:5-6 & Luke 1:79

(v.4) He will give me courage Deut 31:6 & Rom 8:31

(v.5) He will give me honor and a crown of righteousness Isaiah 62:3 & 2 Tim 4:8

(v.6) He will provide mercy and a heavenly home for me Prov 3:33 & John 14:2

The symbolism of a shepherd is key here. God used shepherds to save his people:

~ Moses

~ Joseph

~ David

A shepherd guides his sheep, and they come to know his voice John 10:4 and obey. When they sleep at night, the shepherd would move them into a cave and sleep at the mouth or door John 10:9 of the cave to protect them. If evil comes, the shepherd would protect his sheep and even give his life John 10:11 for his sheep.

Jesus is our Good Shepherd, who has already given His life for us, that we may hear His voice and obey, and He will lead us to the Promised Land of heaven!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment