04 November 2010

2 Nov (1 Cor 11-12)


1 Corinthians 11

(v.3) My girls give me a funny look when I read this verse, and I understand why. First of all, the Jewish culture was much different than what we know in America today. Like many cultures, the man was the head of the household, and the object of wealth and strength.

This is still true, but we must look at what God is saying here...He's painting us a picture:

The Father is the head of the Son (but we know they are one) John 10:30

The husband is the head of the wife (but we know they are one) Gen 2:24

The husband is the head of the house. The Groom is the head of the Bride. Jesus is the Groom, and all of us believers are His Bride. When we are joined in heaven, we are one. But until that day, we submit and follow the Groom.

Women came from man, but man is born from woman. We are intertwined, but again, the man is the head of the household. That is why I rededicated my life to Christ...so I can teach my kids His Word, and do my duty to God and my family.

(v.27) When we give thanks before eating, we need to pray and confess our sins. We need to be ready for God's grace. If we just go through the motions, we are dishonoring what Christ did for us on the cross.

1 Corinthians 12

(v.4) Spiritual gifts are sometimes hotly debated things. What I believe Paul is trying to stress here is twofold:

1. All of us are given gifts from God. We are to find out what those are, and use them for God's purposes.

2. We are not to try to do gifts that aren't given to us. We may want to be a pastor and teach, but if God hasn't gifted us in that, then we should do what He has gifted us to do...like help, or pray, or be an administrator/organizer.

Together, we all make the Church function and perform His plans. If we try to be what we are not, then we are only bringing the whole Body of Christ down.

(v.11) The Holy Spirit moves in each of us for the purpose of God's will. We need to listen to Him and let Him work in our lives. Not only are we strengthening the Church, but we live more joyful and purposeful lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment