29 October 2010

24 Oct (Acts 16)


Acts 16

(v.6) Here was Paul, inspiring believers everywhere, and he wanted to go to Asia. But the Holy Spirit had His own timing and plans, and He kept Paul from going there. I can relate to this. I once a a great opportunity, or so I thought, to use my talents for a ministry. I was fired up and excited. Other things were happening in my life, that seemed clear to me that this is what He wanted me to do. But doors closed and the opportunity slipped away.

Our thinking is not God's thinking. Our plans are not His. We need to remember that when we believe He is speaking to us, and it doesn't turn out like we hoped.

(v.14) We may hear the Gospel dozens of times spoken to us, before we finally get it and realize we need Jesus. God's timing is perfect, and all we can do is plant the seeds for Him to water and grow!

(v.25) When I read this, I think about my reactions to my problems. Do I rejoice and praise God? Or do I mope, worry or get frustrated? I think all of us do the latter most of the time, but here Paul and Silas show us what James 1:2 is talking about. If we are persecuted, then it is because Satan doesn't like what we are doing for God's people! God allows those hard times in our lives to make us stronger, and better equipped to do the next task.

(v.31) Notice Paul didn't say, "Get baptized, do five hail marys, give your money away..." No, all that is required for salvation is the true faith and belief in what Jesus did for us on the cross!

(v.38) Our kids need to understand that since Paul and Silas were Roman citizens, the treatment of them was against Roman law...the people who arrested them and beat them were guilty and deserving of the same punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment