11 January 2010

Jan 14 (Genesis 37-39)


Genesis 37

(v.2) Joseph was a shepherd, and we'll see throughout the Bible, that the role and duties of a shepherd are important. David was a shepherd, and of course, our Lord called Himself the Good Shepherd.

I also take notice that Joseph is 17 years old at this time...I'll get back to this later.

(v.3) I don't know about you, but I could not fathom loving one child more than another. We may love each one in different ways, but we love them equally. However, Jacob showed a blatant favoritism to Joseph, and obviously, all the brothers resented Joseph.

Joseph dreams two dreams, where his family will one day bow down to him. Clearly, his brothers didn't like this very much, and even Jacob took offense, knowing what the dreams meant.

The first dream had to do with agriculture, which would be prophetic since Joseph's brothers came to him for wheat and other supplies in the coming chapters.

The second dream had a celestial sense or spiritual sense to it. Unlike the earthly sense of the first dream, the second one includes his mom and dad. This is a type and model of Jesus, and later, I'll put together a list of how Joseph and Jesus are parallel.

My kids and I discuss that God allowed Joseph to be treated unfairly, sold and imprisoned at no fault of his own...why? I teach my kids that life is not about being fair, it's about being right. Haven't we been in the right in a debate or situation, and yet, the outcome didn't come in our favor? God uses these times to see if we are truly faithful and dependent upon Him.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~2 Cor 12:10

Paul wrote this to show us that only when we allow God to work in us instead of on our own, we are strong and capable of great things.



Genesis 38

Depending upon the age of your kids, this is another chapter that needs much prayer and wisdom to teach your kids. The most important thing to take out of this chapter, is the Levirate Marriage principles in the book of Leviticus. Each family has an heir, and each woman's primary goal was to give birth to an heir. Tamar was not given that right, and she used trickery to show Judah and his family just that. God allowed this, and might have even directed this, since Tamar is listed in the Messianic family tree in Matthew 1:3.



Genesis 39

(v.2) We see right away, that God was behind this...even though it was hard and tragic for Joseph, God is our author and finisher, and He will see us through all trials!

(v.9) I tell my kids that Potiphar's wife wanted to kiss Joseph, and he refused. I love what Joseph says to her, when he says, "...how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?"

When we sin, we may hurt others in the process, and Joseph would have definitely hurt Potiphar by sleeping with his wife. But Joseph's heart was true, and he knew that ALL SIN was an affront against God...not man!

(v.20) The obvious penalty for messing with the wife of Potiphar, would have been death...so why didn't Potiphar have Joseph killed? I like to ask my kids this, and see what they say. I believe that Potiphar didn't really believe his wife, and in order to do something and save the honor of his wife, he put Joseph in prison.

(v.23) We see again that God is blessing Joseph and those around him. God uses bad situations for good. I like to quote this to my kids when we discuss this:

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. ~Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment